Saturday, July 16, 2011

Finding Mr. Goldberg....

It is funny how kids latch on to a particular toy. Especially, one that is small and seemingly insignificant compared to all the others.....Last summer at the Casey Popcorn Festival Hunter won a small plastic goldfish toy, which is fondly referred to in our home as "Mr. Goldberg." Mr. Goldberg often will be found resting in a jar of water (his fish bowl) on my counter. He eats breakfast with Hunter on a regular basis. Mr. Goldberg has also been on trips back home with us for visits and has always managed to make it home and back to his jar of water.

Today, Hunter thought that Mr. Goldberg would enjoy a trip to the swimming pool too! I was a little unsure, afraid that Mr. Goldberg may get lost in such a "big" body of water. Hunter assured me that he would keep track of him. So, Mr. Goldberg joined us at the pool.

We had been there for a couple of hours and Hunter had lived up to his promise always aware of Mr. Goldberg's where abouts. Then, shortly before it was time for us to leave we realized Mr. Goldberg was MIA! I could not imagine leaving with out him and Hunter's disappointment. And it wasn't like I could just go to Walmart and just buy a new one! I had no idea how I could replace Mr. Goldberg. There was no way we could leave without him.

By this time of day the pool was pretty empty so I decided to sweep the pool looking for our missing Mr. Goldberg. My friend and I walked/swam every inch of the shallow end of the pool looking for our missing fish. I began to pray as I often do when I cannot find something.

As we were carrying out our search and rescue for Hunter's missing "pet" I began to think of the parable of the "Lost Sheep." The shepherd would leave his 99 sheep to go and find the one. The parable is found a couple of times in the new testament, always talking about the lengths God, our Shepherd will go to come for us when we are  lost. But, I thought also of how we are to follow His example. We are to reach out to others who maybe "lost."

I began to think of the scripture in Galatians's that says we are to reach out to help our friends who maybe struggling with sin. It is our job to help restore them. Not to judge them but encourage and support them. Gently point them back in the direction of Christ. I contemplated the lengths I went to find Mr. Goldberg, and would I or have I gone to those lengths to help friends I knew were struggling.

"Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so completes Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived." Galatians's 6:2-3 (The Message)

My prayer is that the next time I know a friend is struggling that I may go to such lengths to share in their burdens and help them find their way home.

By the way, we found Mr. Goldberg and he is safe and sound is his jar of water on my counter!

No comments:

Post a Comment