Sunday, July 10, 2011

Time.......Have you mastered it or has it mastered you?

Tick, tick, tick, tick.....That is the sound I hear in my head every minute of every hour of everyday! It is like a ticking time bomb that I am slave to......some days I fear that if I don't pay full attention to the minutes ticking away and making the "most" of my time then I will explode!! I know, I know, I need help!

About a week ago we were at the pool and Josh noticed there was a girl from his class there too. I think he had a crush on her. He would sort of play in circles around her.....ever aware of her presents but too shy to actually say "Hi!" After about 45 minutes she left with her family and Josh never said hi. He looked at me and said, "I wish I could turn back time." I said, "Why?" He replied, "because I would go back and say 'hi' to her." I asked him if he regretted it and he said "YES!".....

Josh's comment of turning back time reminded me of a devotional I read about a month ago. There was one line in it that has been gnawing at me ever since......."Learn to master time, or it will master you." WHOA!! I think I have been mastered!!

Each day that I wake up, I think of my day in spans of time. Like, "OK, I have from 9 - 12 to clean the house, do laundry, go through my coupons and adds. Pick kids up at 12, feed them lunch and have them change....pool from 1 to 3:30p then home for showers and dinner, then off to Vacation Bible School, home Pj's on and to bed..." Only to get up the next day and do it all again! Constantly aware of the clock, and NEVER accomplishing what I had set out to in my allotted amount of time....forever frustrated!!

This is not what Jesus meant when He said that He came that we may have "abundant life." God is the Creator of time. His word says that "with the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." 2 Peter 3:8 God is not bound by time. I know that when I turn my focus toward HIM instead of on my impossible-to-live-by agenda, the chains of my ticking "time" bomb begin to fade.

Josh's comment about turning back time hit close to my heart. I began to think about not making the best use of my time with my kids and one day I will wake up and they will be gone...just like Josh's crush....and I will be the one wishing to turn back time.

I have not learned to master time but, I am working on it. My prayer is....

"Teach us (me) to number our (my) days aright, that we (I) may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

1 comment:

  1. Your page is beautiful! You set "goals" for the day, if you reach them great, if not they will be there tomorrow to try again. The fact that you have the "goal" is the most important thing, sometimes you learn more from not always reaching the goal. As always Cheri, well written!

    ReplyDelete