Sunday, March 6, 2011

Awesome Mom Cont......

Ok, so yesterday I talked about the milestone in mothering of letting Emma dress herself and do her own hair. I really thought that I had this licked! I made it through the first week with little difficulty! Throughout the week I really never had to face anyone at the school who may have had an opinion that I was so worried about. I even had the oppurtunity on Friday to let Emma's teacher in on our new morning routine. Her response was, "Oh, that's what was up with the boots and the dress yesterday."

Then as we woke up this morning to ger ready for church it hit me, it is the first Sunday of the month. On the first Sunday of the month in our church the children's chior sings a special. So, Miss Emma was going to be in front of the ENTIRE church not for just ONE service but TWO! Wow, what an inner battle!!!! If it had been any other Sunday of the month I would have been ok. The kids usually go off to their classrooms and see few adults. In that case I could just casually mention the hairstyle and explain Emma's new found independence.

Since she picked out a dress I did not have to worry about matching. I felt as though I had dodged a bullet. Then it was time for the hair......I began to panic and reason with myself that it is Sunday and our agreement didn't count for Sunday's. After all we were going to God's house....we needed to look our best. But, then what would I be teaching her? One of the most recent Bible verses she had learned was: "God does not look at what man looks at. Man looks on the outward appearance. God looks at the heart."

  With much restraint I gave her full freedom to do her own hair this morning. I did ask a couple of times if I could help her with her part. But, she declined. So, the end result was a very crooked part (if you could call it a part) and a clump in the back that  had been hairsprayed. And through my beautiful little girl (crooked part and all) God taught me even deeper that I have spent way too much energy keeping up outward appearances! The kids did a wonderful job on their special. Emma was front and center on the stage right next to her little brother, helping him with the words and actions. Showing everyone what God already sees, her heart filled with love and a nurturing spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment