Friday, June 24, 2011

Moms know.......EVERYTHING!

As we were getting ready to head to the ballpark for Josh's baseball game the other night I handed Jakob a pair of socks and asked him to find his shoes. I was busy cleaning up dinner and loading the dishwasher and Jake walks through the kitchen and announces as he usually does that he has to use the bathroom. A few minutes pass and again I ask Jake to get his shoes and socks on. He says, "I don't know where my socks went." I say, "Did you take them in the bathroom with you?" The next thing I hear is "HOW did YOU know that??" My response was, "Because I am a mom and mom's know...."  Jake says, "EVERYTHING!"

This is a saying my kids are well acquainted with. From the time they were little bitty and they would ask me how I knew something I would always reply, "Because Moms know everything!" I guess it is like when I was little, I remember standing on the furniture and my mom would holler at me from the other room to get down. Shocked by her keen sense of knowing, I asked her how she knew I was standing on the furniture and she told me she had eyes in the back of her head. I don't know if I really believed that she had an extra set of eyes....but I knew she possessed some sort of "super powers" that I didn't have!! So, when I became a mom I wanted to be their super hero!

I think I really had my kids convinced for a few years but, now it is more of a game. You know what it is like when your mind is running a million miles a minute going over your grocery list at the same time you are folding laundry and one of the kids walk up right in the middle of your thoughts and says, "Mom, do you think Tank and Myrtle will ever have babies?" (Tank and Myrtle are our Red Eared Slider turtles) And my automatic response is......"I don't know!" My kids will say, "But you are a MOM and moms know EVERYTHING!"

For the last week I have been pondering the thought of being all knowing. It would definitely have its advantages, many of them obvious. We would know what job to take or how to raise our kids perfectly. But, at the same time many disadvantages like never having another surprise or not having the chance to experience things for the first time. I am thankful that I do not know everything but, God does. "Nothing comes to you that has not passed through His hands first." (Shelia Walsh) So, I can take refuge in that. He knows what is best for me and what is to come.

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely,.......All the days ordained for me were written in a book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:1-4, 16

No comments:

Post a Comment