Saturday, May 7, 2011

To forgive or not to forgive.....

This morning I was able to sleep in til 8:30! I could not tell you the last time I slept that late!! However, I woke up to the sound of screaming, bickering children coming from the kitchen. So, I did what any mom would do. I went to investigate......

When I walked into the kitchen Emma was on the floor, Josh was on top of her trying to keep her quiet....there was a serving tray with a bowl of cereal with bananas cut up in it, some toast, and a couple of granola bars. As soon as the kids saw me they began to scream louder! They were upset that I was up and ruined their surprise!!

They were attempting to serve me breakfast in bed for Mother's day and were arguing about what to serve and how to serve it. Josh was trying to keep Emma quiet so they didn't wake us up! Then when they saw that I was up the argument exploded!! So, both kids were in on our bed and we were trying to sort out and diffuse the argument. Emma began to cry  and admit that it was Josh's idea. She was sobbing and asking her brother to forgive her for being so loud and ruining their surprise.........Josh responded with a "Humph!" With some prodding from Jason and I he said "It's OK" (said in an Eeyore voice). Josh was very reluctant to forgive his sister.

It struck me that he was so reluctant to forgive his sister. I said, "Josh how would you feel if God was so reluctant to forgive you?" Josh thought about it for a minute and then gave his sister a big hug and accepted her apology......

Later, this afternoon one of Josh's friend came over. They were out in the front yard playing football. I am not sure what happened, but his buddy got mad at him and didn't want to play anymore. I overheard Josh apologize several times. But, his friend never forgave him, instead he got on his bike and rode home......

I could not help but think about how just this morning he was the one who was so reluctant to forgive. Now he was the one seeking forgiveness. I too could relate. I myself have a history of carrying unforgiveness, and also have sought forgiveness that has never come..........Neither place is where I want to be!

The Bible tells us that God is faithful to forgive us our sin, that he removes them as far as the east is from the west. I am so thankful for his forgiveness!! But He also tells us that we must forgive others.

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But, if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matthew 6: 14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment