Friday, April 1, 2011

Change in agenda.....

Jason is out of town this weekend with the youth group. So, I have been planning all week for his absence. Thinking of all the things I want to accomplish in my home......

For starters the kids' rooms! You cannot even see 50 - 75% of the floor upstairs. Last weekend the boys got out the old Geo Tracks trains and built a very large train track sprawling the length of the hallway. In their room is a variety of army men, Lego's, matchbox cars, Lincoln logs, and action figures ALL over their floor. (Word to the wise....do not enter bare foot in the dark!) Emma built a "tent" that is taking up a third of her room, and inside the "tent" is a variety of dress up clothes, stuffed animals, zhu zhu pets and baby dolls.

Then, the floors.....most of our floors are hardwood or laminent. Do you know how BIG dust bunnies get on hardwood floors. I swear it is like they multiply as fast as real bunnies! Not to mention laundry and scrubbing my kitchen and bathroom!

 You know the commercial that says, "you're the kind of person that squeezes every second out of every minute out of every day...."  That is me! So, I woke up this morning with my agenda on my mind. By the time I got up and got Jason and the kids out the door, I was already behind schedule! This was gonna throw a wrench in my entire weekend and all that I wanted to accomplish.

Then, I remembered when I was at Hearts at Home ( a conference for moms) a couple of weeks ago Jill Salvage spoke about rest and refueling your tank when you are at half a tank. Instead of waiting until you are on empty and have to be rescued. I knew that is where I was headed this weekend. She also talked about having a schedule so full that your husband and kids get in your way. Ouch! Guilty!


I realized that my priorities were out of place. A clean house is great, but at what cost? I then began to think about  my kids and how much they LOVE to spend quality time together. I thought about when they grow up and the things they will remember....or what do I want them to remember. That their mother was obsessed with having a well kept house (which is not possible with 4 kids, 2 dogs a cat and a job) or the time we spent together playing games, reading a book, painting with watercolors, or just snuggling up to watch tv.

Rest is a gift from God. He intended for us to rest. He led by example. When He created the earth He rested on the 7 day. Matthew 11:28 says "Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you REST." I was weary and burdened this weekend to maintain unrealistically high standards I have placed on my self. I want to accept God's gift of rest and make memories with my kids.

The new agenda.....spend a little time tomorrow morning picking up the kids rooms and sweeping the floors. Then, the rest of my weekend belongs to my kids!

1 comment:

  1. Very well put Cheri! I need to remember this myself this weekend.

    ReplyDelete