Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hunter.....

One of my favorite days of the week is Friday. Not just because it is the beginning of my weekend but, because I have the privilege of volunteering in Hunter's kindergarten class for centers. I love walking in his classroom and his face lights up and he runs over to give me a big hug! I enjoy getting to know the other kids in his class.  A couple of weeks ago one of the little boys asked, "Mrs Chewi, can you peel my cwayon fow me? You have weally shawp nails?" I smile and was glad to help! As he went back to his table I heard him say, "Mrs Chewi peeled my cwayon naked!"

About a month ago while I was there for centers Hunter's teacher informed me of a PST meeting they had scheduled. She said, "It is a Problem Solving Meeting just to get together and talk about Hunter. I am not sure he is ready for 1st grade." I was ALL to aware of PST meetings. I told her this would be my 2nd one this year! Before this year I had never heard of a PST meeting!! His teacher has been very good communicating with me this year in regards to Hunter's progress so this was not a total surprise. When I told her they were doing a full case study on Josh for a learning disability, she said she thought Hunter too could have one but it was too early to know for sure.

I have to say it is really hard to sit at a table full of education professionals and hear them say things like "your child is below average" "he has difficulty with attention" "he is testing at the bottom of the class".  At the same time they also say things like, "he is a delightful little boy" But somehow all the praise in the world doesn't take away the sting of the "concerns". As I had mentioned in my blog "The Trap" I was guilty of comparing Hunter to the other kids in the class and was shocked to here he was at the bottom!!

I have always called Hunter "my cuddlebug"! He loves to snuggle up and watch a movie or read a book together. He has a dry wit about him and is the most quiet and laid back of all four of my kids. Sometimes my heart just melts for him because he is number 3 of 4 I feel like he gets lost in the mix. His favorite thing to do for family time is to go to the Douglas Hart Nature Center and feed the fish at the pond. Hunter is always willing to help and give to his little brother Jake! And he is still my cuddlebug!

At the PST meeting we decided to wait until August to decide for sure if we should retain him in kindergarten or not. It is completely up to Jason and I. We are praying for God's direction. As we left the meeting, in my heart I felt that the only reason we wouldn't retain him would be due to my own pride and denial. I know there are many benefits to retention in kindergarten.  When I asked Hunter about how he felt about staying in kindergarten, I explained that he could be a big help to his teacher cause he would know all the rules and know where everything is. He said, "OK I will stay in kindergarten." I am so thankful God made him so laid back and go with the flow!

God has also blessed us abundantly with resources to help both of our boys this summer. We have a friend from church who has offered to tutor both boys over the summer and, we have all three older kids signed up for a special reading program at EIU for the entire month of July!!

I know we are not alone in this! I can see God's hand a blessing at every turn. He is in control!!

P. S.
Our evaluation meeting for Joshua is May 2nd. We will have the results of Josh's full case study that day. I am getting nervous as the day approaches. Please be in prayer for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment